20260821

IBB GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB TO REOPEN IN DECEMBER, SAYS FCT MINISTER

L-R Executive Secretary, FCDA, Engr Richard Yunana Dauda, Regional Manager, Julius Berger Nigeria Limited, Oliver Berger, FCT Minister, Barr Nyesom Wike and Kenneth Chikere during the Minister's inspection of ongoing construction of road CO1 in Lifecamp, Abuja on Friday

FCT PRESS RELEASE


IBB GOLF AND COUNTRY CLUB TO REOPEN IN DECEMBER, SAYS FCT MINISTER
…AS HE INSPECTS KEY ROAD PROJECTS SLATED FOR COMPLETION BY YEAR END

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike has confirmed that the rehabilitation of the IBB Golf and Country Club in Aso Drive, Maitama District, Abuja, will be completed and the facility reopened to the public in December this year.

The Minister made the disclosure on Friday, August 21, 2026, while addressing journalists after inspecting several key infrastructure projects across the territory that are billed for completion by December, including the Collector Road CO1 in Life Camp, from Berger Clinic to Dape District, and Arterial Road N1, linking Wuye District and Ring Road II.

The Minister expressed satisfaction with progress on the Collector Road CO1 in Life Camp, being handled by Julius Berger, noting that the project is expected to be handed over by December. He likewise commended the quality of work on the Arterial Road N1 project, being executed by Arab Contractors, which is also on schedule for a December handover.

Addressing the rehabilitation of the IBB Golf and Country Club, the Minister explained that the intervention followed a directive from the President, who instructed that the facility — long used by diplomats and members of the public for recreation — be restored and reopened by December.

He explained that the club had been shut down following an internal crisis among its members, adding that a caretaker committee, chaired by the President of the Court of Appeal, was constituted in response, to oversee its affairs. The Minister commended the committee's work in facilitating the rehabilitation contract, which was awarded to Julius Berger Plc, the company that originally built the Club.

He noted that while the contractor has indicated a November completion date, government has set December as the target reopening date in line with the President's directive. The Minister added that once handed over, the Club is expected to generate its own funds to sustain operations going forward, reducing reliance on public financing.

According to the Minister, “Mr. President directed that this Golf Course must be ready and reopened by December. So, we have given it to Julius Berger to make sure that everything is done, and by December this year, the Golf Course will be reopened. It was shut down because of the internal crisis among its members, and we had to appoint a caretaker committee that is being headed by the President of the Court of Appeal.

“And they have been doing quite well by making sure that this job we have given to Julius Berger is completed. We believe this time around, that when this is done, they should be able to raise funds for themselves to run this place. The government should not, you know, use public funds to go and be doing this. But because Mr. President has intervened and has directed that...of course, diplomats have been complaining that they have nowhere to go and play golf. I know the importance of golf. So, by December, God willing, they will reopen this Golf Course for the use of the public.

“And you know Julius Berger did this work, and so we have to bring them back. So, we are doing everything possible to pay them and we are paying them, and they have to complete the job. The contractor has said they are handing over in November, but we want it to be reopened December, and that is the directive of Mr. President”, the Minister stated, urging club members to acknowledge the President's role in facilitating its restoration.

Responding to questions on the political implications of Osun State Governor-elect Ademola Adeleke's recent visit to the President, the Minister explained that Adeleke, though officially a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), contested on the platform of the Accord Party due to internal party wrangling, but remains a supporter of the President despite the differing party platforms.

He described a recent meeting among political allies as a review of what he called the "larger rainbow coalition" backing the President, and predicted that this coalition would expand visibly in the coming weeks. On that basis, he characterised the 2027 election as effectively decided, dismissing rival parties such as the ADC as lacking a genuine claim to Adeleke's political success.

Asked whether he was concerned about how opposition figures might view his meeting with the Governor-elect, the Minister said he did not consider the ADC or other groupings as currently constituting a formidable opposition, citing internal party crises. The Minister was notably blunt in his remarks toward opposition figures, stating that his objective was to ensure they remain politically uncomfortable rather than at ease, and that their sentiments were not his concern.

“When you are having a contest with somebody, your business is not to make him feel well. Your business is to beat him thoroughly so that he will be sick all through”, the Minister stated. 

More Pictures and Captions

Aerial View of the Arterial Road N5 (Obafemi Awolowo Way) Collector Road C01 under construction in Life Camp, from Berger Clinic to Dape District during inspection by the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike in Abuja.. Friday.

A section of the Arterial Road N1 under construction, linking Wuye District to Ring Road II in Abuja, during inspection by the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike on Friday.

Ongoing rehabilitation of the IBB Gulf House inspected by the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike in Abuja on Friday, August 21, 2026

Aerial View of the Collector Road C01 under construction in Life Camp, from Berger Clinic to Dape District during inspection by the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike in Abuja.. Friday.


RABI MUSA UMAR

DEPUTY DIRECTOR, PRESS

(OFFICE OF THE HON MINISTER)

FCTA/ODP/PR/897

21/08/2026

No comments:

Post a Comment

DATE-LINE BLUES REMIX EDITION ONE